About Medical Teams International:
Medical Teams International provides medical and dental care, humanitarian assistance, and holistic development programs to all people in need around the world, regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race. Ahead of emergencies, we also mobilize long-term health promotion initiatives, collaborating with established partners within each community to ensure that our programs have a sustainable impact.
Medical Teams International’s humanitarian response activities are designed to provide rapid and coordinated emergency response to the most vulnerable populations during and after a humanitarian emergency. Through partnerships with local health organizations, we provide emergency medical care, transitional health, and community programming for impacted communities, from emergency relief to development, saving lives and improving quality of care. MTI’s humanitarian response interventions include health, nutrition, and WASH.
Our Calling: Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
From time to time, Medical Teams International (MTI) requires support from security specialists to complete specific safety-related projects. At the current time, this expertise is not available within the current Humanitarian Response Team (HRT) in dedicated form – instead, a number of HRT staff members have security management experience but are employed by MTI in roles which are broader humanitarian support roles. Therefore, a gap has been identified in terms of human resource availability to complete security tasks to a high standard.
To fill this gap, MTI will pre-select a number of security consultants with the necessary skills to be contracted when needed. This pre-selection will follow the standard HR processes with screening interview followed by a test and technical interview. MTI will seek to select a number of candidates with a variety of security skills and experience in order to have a robust security staff roster in place.
Expected Tasks and Projects MTI anticipates that the following tasks and projects will be outsourced to security consultants for the coming months. This is not an exhaustive list, but a sample of current work to be undertaken:
- Safety and Security Instruction drafting and review at field level (in collaboration with field teams).
- Security training at field level (to include support in facilitating in-country HEAT style training).
- Trend analysis to aid risk management reviews on a quarterly basis.
- Annual safety reviews of field bases (to cover topics such as fire safety).
- Desk analysis reviews of ‘hot spots’ – areas that could impact current or future MTI programming (to be determined by the HRT’s horizon scanning work).
- Desk analysis reviews of complex incidents and major context changes that requires an update in the Safety and Security Instruction
Skills and Experience Needed
In order to have a robust roster in place, MTI will seek consultants who demonstrate the following skills, character and experience:
- In agreement with the vision and values of MTI, especially with the organisation’s faith basis.
- Demonstrable experience of facilitating scenario-based training at field level including management of aggression (from local authorities/armed actors/detention situations) and trauma first aid.
- Demonstrable experience of leading crisis management processes.
- Demonstrable experience of localising safety and security plans.
- Clear understanding of current security trends in the humanitarian sector.
- Clear understanding and experience of humanitarian agencies use of community acceptance as a risk mitigating strategy.
- Able to show ongoing engagement in key security forums for the humanitarian sector, or a clear network of personal contacts in the sector.
- Clear team player, able to show strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Experience of managing security at field level for both national and international staff of known international NGOs.
- Experience of working in complex conflict environments, preferably in the Middle East.