Security and Political Analyst (Iraq)
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
Minimising security risks to our staff is our highest priority. Therefore GIZ implements professional security risk management systems in its partner countries, in particular in countries with high security risks. Security risk management and security analysts contribute to the safety and security of our staff and operations and thereby support the successful implementation of development programmes and cooperation. The security risk management system in Iraq consists of international and national security risk management advisors in six locations and one analyst. The analyst complements the team with advise on security developments tailored to different audiences.
- Supporting the security risk management team with background information and contributing to their products such as security assessments, information reports, and local/national/regional foresight products
- Briefing GIZ stakeholders on situation and developments e.g. head of security risk management, country management, project managers and advise on security-related developments upon request
- Establishing, maintaining, and monitoring a set of indicators that is complimentary to the country portfolio and helps with security decisions in all locations
- Preparing comprehensible reports for the country and individual regions/locations, sometimes jointly with HQ, regional structures, or project teams
- Contributing to the agenda setting for security analyses, especially with regard to reports, themes, and briefings
- Representing the unit to internal and external bodies, colleagues, and partners
- Data collection and analysis via several resources, open-source channels and partners
- Liaising with internal and external partners for information exchange and consultation
- University degree in political analysis, international relations, international security or comparable studies
- Previous experience working in an analysis function on security and political matters (ideally) for international organisations, NGOs or the private sector
- Familiarity with Iraq and/or other Muslim countries
- Proficient communication skills, good collaboration in a team environment, presentation skills, and sensitivity for the needs of managerial decision-makers
- Fluency in English; Good command of German; A command of Arabic or Kurdish is a plus
At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures. Medical care is limited. Climate is characterized by very hot, dry summers and cool winters. Depending on the security situation this position might be operating out of other countries. Iraq is a CTO (Compensated-Time-Off) country with various regulations, therefore Erbil is not a family location. The ability to move freely is sincerely limited with security restrictions dominating work and private life. The security situation is acutely tense.The situation requires constant monitoring and special security risk mitigation measures for GIZ staff. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200