Security and Access Advisor (Afghanistan)
Duty Location Mazar-e-Sharif and Kabul, Afghanistan, frequently travelling to other operational areas, based on security situation
Duration 3 months with possible extension
Relationship The Security and Access Advisor to the Country Director of the PIN mission in Afghanistan. S/he will supervise 3 National Security Coordinators. The post holder will work together with senior management team in the country to ensure safety and security issues are managed professionally. S/he will have functional relationship with PIN’s global security advisor based at the PIN HQ in Prague
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistance in 22 countries around the world. In Afghanistan, PIN has been responding to humanitarian needs and implementing development programs since 2001. PIN has established presence in 11 provinces in Afghanistan with approximately 140 staff. PIN implements projects focused on community and business development, agriculture, women’s economic empowerment, social integration, and humanitarian response. A major project has just started in Balkh.
PIN has a long-term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and both natural and man-made disasters in Afghanistan, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance, regardless of the prevailing national and international dynamics. PIN aims to work in coordination with existing local governance structures and promote community-based approaches to avoid undermining local structures.
Safety and Security Management:
Majority of documents and procedures are at place. The upcoming Safety and Security Advisor is asked to keep the documents updated and procedures updated and functional.
- Incident Management protocol – keep updated, take active role in management of incidents if occurs.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) – keep updated, ensure implementation where not finished yet.
- Provide technical support to the CD and country management on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for staff safety, operational security and program continuity.
- Evaluate, review and update the security management and contingency plans on a regular basis in compliance with global safety and security standards and requirements.
- Continue building capacity of in-country Incident Management Team (IMT)
- Contribute to discussion on how PIN Afghanistan can improve security culture among national and international staff.
- Promote and monitor staff care, well-being and self-care.
- Develop, review and update a project-specific Safety and Security Plan for a Recycling Plant Project in Northern Afghanistan
- Oversee the country Safety and Security management process and ensure the implementation of the security management plan.
- Facilitate Risk and Threats Assessments and ensure the implementation of mitigation plans and measures.
- Ensure that safety and security reports and relevant information are analysed and shared across the team.
- Develop the capacity of National Security Coordinators so that they can work independently with minimum guidance
- Provide technically advice on the procurement of safety-related equipment, facilities and other resources.
- Represent PIN in various security coordination meetings organized by INSO, UN, Donors and other organizations.
- Participate in program design in close cooperation with the HoP, CD and HQ Desk Officer (where needed)
- Advise program and field management teams on context-specific risks pertaining humanitarian access, safety, and security, and contribute to the development and implementation of mitigation measures and plans.
- Keep updated PIN Afghanistan access strategies in collaboration with National Security Coordinators, Project/Program Managers and other similar organizations.
- Support in development and implementation of access tools, training and orientations for safe delivery of activities.
- Work closely with PIN team and provide support and quality control of access assessments and necessary measures based on changed contexts.
Training and Capacity Building
- Plan and implement safety and security related training for PIN team in Afghanistan
- Regularly facilitate meetings of security department and provide feedback
- Continue guide and coaching the security and safety team
- Ensure all staff have access to security policies/procedures and enhance their knowledge and attitude towards security management
To be successful in this role the applicant will fulfil the following criteria:
- Minimum 2 years of security management experience with INGO in a challenging security context. Working experience in Afghanistan is an advantage.
- Working experience in fragile countries and hostile environment
- Demonstrated experience of working in multicultural diverse team
- Proven capacity to develop and implement context-based safety and security protocols and systems;
- Demonstrated capacity in information gathering, analysis and report writing
- Proven ability to carry-out quality assessments on access and security issues
- Knowledge and experience with incident management
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate training programs
- Full professional proficiency in English. Knowledge and understanding about local languages is an advantage
- Proven ability to gender analysis and look the safety and security issues through gender lenses
- Leadership: You take initiative, continue search innovation and influence others
- Result orientated: You ensure achieving results with efficiency
- Integrity: You perform according to PIN’s vision and values
- Cooperation: You engage various internal and external stakeholders and value their feedback
- Communication: You are an active listener and speak effectively
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies,
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse on PIN expense;
- 25 days of paid leave annually plus 15 days of R&R
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work and regional travel every 3 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line; travel medical insurance.