Regional Security Manager
Based in Africa (Nairobi or Johannesburg preferred; other locations possible)
Up to 50% international travel
Reports to the Deputy Director, Global Security
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
The PSI Global Security department is a small team with a big impact. As a department, we provide security insight and support to all 50+ PSI offices and thousands of employees globally. We strive to never present problems without solutions. We take a soft approach to security management by designing context-appropriate solutions and recommendations. The Regional Security Manager for Africa will have a strong influence in creating and shaping safety and security policies throughout the organization. This position is more than just incident management—we emphasize training and preparedness instead of simply reacting.
We are looking for a Regional Security Manager to help build safety and security capacity in PSI offices, and strengthen our ability to program in difficult environments. You will be a primary point of contact for country security focal points and country directors across Africa on any number of security issues and questions. You will visit various countries to perform physical security assessments, trainings, briefings, and preparedness planning. You will build and maintain close relationships with security networks in your area of responsibility, and raise potential issues of concern to the regional and corporate levels as appropriate. Importantly, you will be proactive in identifying challenges and areas of opportunity for PSI Global Security to create and implement new policies and procedures that will increase staff security.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Perform field office safety and security assessments throughout Africa, as assigned;
- Participate in Incident and/or Crisis Management teams, as emergency situations arise;
- Be willing to deploy abroad or alter travel routes with little advanced notice to respond to needs of PSI;
- Provide technical support to security focal points and Country Representatives;
- Attend meetings and conferences, and debrief on any issues related to safety and security that may impact PSI;
- Advise staff and management on exposure to risk and liability;
- Assist in the preparation of concept papers, operations policies/procedures, and manuals regarding global safety and security;
- Provide quality assurance and guidance on all platform Security Management Plans, and ensure compliance;
- Provide security trainings and briefings as developed by the security department;
- Liaise with country teams to ensure safety and security is being adequately addressed in cost proposals and realignments;
- Attend appropriate security workshops and seminars;
- Be willing and able to respond remotely, or in-person, to emergencies 24 hours per day, 7 days per week;
What are we looking for?
- You have at least 7 years of experience managing safety and security.
- You have at least 2 years of experience working for an international NGO.
- You have lived and worked in a developing country environment for at least 2 years.
- You have experience and are passionate in building local technical, management and leadership capacity around safety and security.
- You are fluent in English, and preferably another major African language (Swahili or French highly preferred).
- You have significant experience building country-level security management systems.
- You are an experienced security trainer who is comfortable training and creating training plans on a wide variety of topics.
- You are a strong but concise writer.
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work and live in a major African hub (Nairobi, or Johannesburg. Other cities may be considered.) B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position. Relocation expenses will not be paid.
What would get us excited?
Experienced manager. You have been a Regional Security Manager, or a country security manager in multiple countries. You have created and implemented major policies and improvements to security management for your organization.
Collaborative manager. You are able to inspire a shared vision of security with your country teams. You have successfully helped focal points and management teams learn, grow, and thrive in their resilience to safety and security issues.\
A connector. You have a wide network of security contacts and information sources. You are able to gather information on emerging events and trends quickly and accurately. You are able to spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about country or regional threats and support needs.
A Strategist and an innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in creating solutions and sharing learning. You are able to work independently, but are an active and engaged member of the Global Security team.