Regional Security and Access Analyst (Middle East)
Created in 1979, Action contre la Faim is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency – has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices – Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy. In 2017, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 20 million people in more than 46 countries worldwide. www.actioncontrelafaim.org
Country: Jordan – Amman
Length of contract: 12 months (until 30/04/2020); starting on May 1st 2019.
The position: Based in our Middle East Regional Office (MERO), you will provide context analysis and build scenarios based on geopolitical trends. You will support missions improving access through a comprehensive analysis and a better community engagement. You will be responsible for building a strong regional network of analysis experts.
You main responsibilities will be:
- You will do a Regional Geopolitical Trend Analysis to stay up-to-date with international trends and developments affecting the balance of power in the Middle East. You will investigate and forecast emerging threats and share learnings with country teams to aid in proactive planning and response strategies. You will support the country offices with factoring in security risks and analysis (scenarios for the main crises in the region).
- You will provide support in developing and implementing Humanitarian Access Strategies enabling durable programing and assessment for new areas of intervention. You will advise on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance. You will support the missions with workshops and access trainings (in coherence with our tools and methods). You will ensure that our access is responsive to local context and it has been negotiated with all stakeholders (including community engagement components).
- You will be responsible for building a Network of Regional Analysts & Security & Access experts. You will identify all sources of information (political, military, humanitarian, etc.) allowing a better analysis of the security situation in the region. You will establish and maintain contacts with UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, and diplomatic missions. You will exchange regularly with security advisors from HQs (France & Spain) and with the Inter-Agency Regional Analysts Network (IARAN) based in London.
The applicant: You hold a degree in Security management or related field, and specifics studies in humanitarian aid or development. You have at least 3 years experiences (or more) in access analysis and/or security management. You have proven experience working in insecure environments. In addition, you have comprehensive knowledge of security management within INGOs.
You are known for your skill to establish a working relationship with different stakeholders & networks establishment, which prove your skills to cooperate with multidisciplinary teams.
An experience in capacity building and training in a cross-cultural environment will be desirable.
Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills in Arabic and English are mandatory.
Global mobility is required.
Status: Fixed-term contract, provided by ACF according to the French legislation.
Salary and profits:
- Monthly gross salary from 1 805 € to 2 305 € (upon experience)
- Per diem and living allowance: 524 JOD net – paid in cash in the field
- + 9% of monthly gross salary as regional allowance
- + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizens.
Transportation and accommodation:
- Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- Individual room in guesthouse covered
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leave and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- + 20 RnR per year.
- + 100 JOD/month as a transportation allowance
Training: Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Cross knowledge ©.