Regional Analyst (Syria)
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions. The organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system. Today, INSO provides daily support to more than 850 NGOs in twelve of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for its performance, principles and professionalism.
INSO has developed a strong regional approach to the Syria response, supporting over 170 NGOs that operate both inside Syria and from regional hubs in neighbouring countries. The Syria response office, based in Amman, oversees staff and offices in Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq and Syria itself.
Based in Amman the main objective of the Regional Analyst is to complement and enhance the strategic decision-making of NGOs conducting humanitarian operations in Syria. Considering the complex and challenging operational environment presented by the conflict, the Regional Analyst will be responsible for examining the multi-faceted interplay between regional dynamics and the programmatic context across Syria.
By conducting and contributing to senior management briefings, analytical reports and thematic research that utilise INSO’s unique information, perspective and resources to assess geo-political, security and socio-economic trends, the position aims to effectively implement INSO’s mission and mandate in providing its partners with a regional insight and foresight into humanitarian safety and access.
The Regional Analyst – Syria reports to, and is the responsibility of, the INSO Syria Country Director, also based in Amman. For technical supervision and quality assurance, the Regional Analyst falls under INSO’s Chief Analyst, who is based in the Operational Support Office.
· Monitor, collate and verify contextual developments from a diverse range of information, such as NGOs, the UN, civil society organisations, research institutes and media sources.
· Identify, cultivate and maintain an active network of contacts within the broader humanitarian community as well as other relevant stakeholders for information sharing, analytical exchanges, relationship building and operational coordination.
· Prepare and produce a Monthly Trend Analysis that assists NGO partners by monitoring and assessing prevalent conflict dynamics and their impact on humanitarian safety and access.
· Provide and present a monthly Regional Analysis Briefing to NGO senior management to inform programmatic decision-making, operational modalities and contingency plans.
· Conduct and manage Thematic Papers on common or recurring challenges to humanitarian delivery using a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods.
· Convene and contribute to NGO coordination meetings and forums with humanitarian counterparts to discuss strategic and operational solutions to issues pertaining to humanitarian safety and access.
· Liaise and coordinate with INSO’s Chief Analyst for initiatives related to ensuring analytical quality assurance and standards in-country, designing and disseminating Thematic Papers, contributing to global reports as well as improving capacities through analytical training.
· Ensure and reinforce the continuity and consistency between INSO’s consolidated internal data and externally distributed analytical products.
· Effectively represent and protect INSO’s principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality as well as actively promoting INSO as an integral member of the humanitarian community.
· Strategy Development. Contribute to the definition and application of INSO’s country strategy, providing analysis and advice for programmatic plans, products and practice.
· Programme Support. Assist the programme team in the delivery of products and services if required by the Country Director.
· Crisis Management. Offer support to enhance the preparedness or response of INSO and its partners in the event of an emergency.
The position and duties of this post require a great degree of flexibility and adaptation. Hence, within reasonable limits, the Regional Analyst might be required to carry out tasks that may not be explicitly detailed in this job description but are aligned with INSO principles and mandate.
· Fluent spoken and written English.
· Masters degree in political, conflict, security or humanitarian studies.
· Relevant experience working in NGOs, international organisations, think-tanks, research consultancies or journalism.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience working in and on insecure/post-conflict environments, preferably in an analytical capacity.
· Excellent writing and analytical skills.
· Ability to work independently to tight deadlines in difficult conditions.
· Demonstrable understanding of safety discourses and dynamics as they relate to NGO operations and humanitarian coordination mechanisms.
· Strong comprehension and training in conflict analysis, conflict sensitivity and/or do no harm.
· Pre-existing professional experience, contextual knowledge, information networks and/or proficiency in Arabic.
· Strategic commitment to innovatively incorporate and systematise analytical thinking into humanitarian projects, operations and programmes.
· Technical proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint.
Key Personal Competencies
· Conceptual, critical and creative thinking
· Managing and solving complex problems
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills
· Organised and diligent work ethic
· Empowering and inclusive team player
· Cultural and situational sensitivity
· Principled and consummate professional
For Terms & Conditions please see https://www.ngosafety.org/ra_syr