EISF Research Assistant
Fixed term contract for 6 months
Full time – working 35 hours per week
Salary: £25,885-28,889 per annum
Location: Waterloo, London, UK
The European Interagency Security Forum (EISF) is an independent platform for security managers from European humanitarian agencies operating overseas. EISF emerged in 2006 as an independent NGO network, facilitating collaboration and information exchange on humanitarian security-risk management at the strategic, systematic and policy level. The Forum has established itself as a reference point for applied practice, collective knowledge and current challenges in security risk management.
Recognising that humanitarian agencies need to develop expertise in security risk management in order to deliver aid effectively in unpredictable operating environments, EISF’s vision is to become a global reference point for humanitarian agencies. Our primary objective is to enhance the security of aid workers, by strengthening integrated security risk management approaches, allowing increased and sustainable access to populations in need. In this way, good security risk management should facilitate the improved impact of humanitarian assistance.
EISF works directly with over 80 European humanitarian agencies, reaching 90,000 aid workers globally. The EISF Secretariat and Steering Group also engage and collaborate with a wide range of actors, including institutional donors, researchers, UN agencies and NGO platforms in order to promote and enhance risk management in humanitarian assistance. EISF achieves its goals in part by maximising available resources and cooperating closely with a wide range of actors.
EISF is supported by its membership and is funded by the Swiss, US and UK governments. The Forum is not a registered organisation, but an independently-run entity, currently hosted by Christian Aid.
For more information, please visit www.eisf.eu.
The EISF Research Assistant will provide effective and efficient support to the EISF Research Advisor on the research projects and activities the Research Advisor is leading on.
- Assist the Research Advisor with EISF qualitative research projects, e.g. editing, proofreading, liaising with designers, background research, etc.
- Support the Research Advisor with the administration of the EISF online library, ensuring it is maintained.
- With the Research Advisor’s guidance, develop and edit regular contextual and thematic alerts and blogs for the EISF website.
- Support the Research Advisor in identifying emerging themes and gaps in NGO security risk management knowledge and capacity.
- Assist the EISF Secretariat in organising bi-annual EISF forums as well as specialist workshops and seminars.
Communications and social media
- Assist in the maintenance of EISF’s social media presence and identify content for the website on security-related issues.
- Support the EISF Secretariat’s knowledge management processes.
- Assist in the maintenance and development of the EISF website and other online resources when necessary.
- Assist the EISF Secretariat team in a flexible manner with a variety of tasks as and when needed.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline (e.g. social sciences, development studies, politics, international relations, law)
- Experience of doing desk-based research
- Previous experience in the humanitarian NGO sector
- Strong communication skills in English, especially in writing and editing
- Good analytical skills
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Close attention to detail, with a focus on high quality and accurate work outputs
- Able to work well independently and as part of a team
- Intermediate Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Willingness to travel for a minimum of two weeks per year
- Knowledge of NGO security risk management-related issues
- Knowledge of website content management systems (WordPress)
- Experience of developing budgets and working within their constraints
How to Apply
To apply for this post please send your CV and cover letter to the EISF Administrator, Justina Amenu (email@example.com) highlighting:
- Your suitability for the role and interest in joining EISF
- Relevant research you have authored/contributed to
As this post is UK-based, non-EC nationals will require current and valid permission to work in the UK.
Closing date: 2nd of May 2017