Deputy Director of Operations
The IRC has been present in Bangladesh since late 2017 and obtained registration with the NGO Affairs Bureau (GoB) in March 2018. Subsequently, IRC became a full-fledged country program in July 2018 and Since then, we have been moving quickly to expand our integrated health and protection program to protect and assist Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh through both direct and partner based programming focused on primary healthcare, women’s protection and empowerment, sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence and child protection. IRC in Bangladesh has just finalised its first Strategic Action Plan (SAP) to guide its operation in Bangladesh for next two years (until 2020) and contributing in three organization-wide key objectives – (i) Grow our impact; (ii) Delivering on our promises; (iii) Standing up for our values and for our beneficiaries
IRC in Bangladesh is currently at critical stage in terms of consolidating our existing work in Rohingya refugee camps making sure that we deliver comprehensive and high quality services; Rapid scale up of program in existing sectors (protection and health) but also introducing new sectors (education, WASH and Livelihood) both in refugee camps and new start up in host community in Cox Bazar; Rapid growth in both staff strength and funding etc
The Deputy Director Operations (DDO) is a senior management role and provides a leadership, decision-making and coordinating role on operations functions with a current focus on Rohingya refugees and host communities in Cox’s Bazar and a potential expansion to serve other crises affected communities in the country. The DDO is responsible for providing primary oversight and support of the Supply Chain, IT, Security and Administration / Government Liaison functions of the IRC Bangladesh country program. This position will also provide support to country office in Dhaka and field offices in Ukhia and Teknaf. The DDO reports to the Country Director, works closely with the Deputy Director of Program (DDP), HR Coordinator and the Finance Controller (FC), and is the primary nexus between the IRC Bangladesh country program and all the various operational departments in HQ.
1. Strategic Planning and Management
• Continuous assessment of IRC’s operational set up and needs in Bangladesh and undertake strategic and operational improvement measures to facilitate smooth business continuity ensuring safety and security of staff and clients under the guidance of Senior Management Team (SMT).
• Participate in the development and/or review of new proposals, operating plans and strategic plans ensuring the operational needs are well brought together and reflected wherever appropriate.
• Assist in the implementation of operational improvements within all Supply chain and Administration departments to enhance the organization’s ability to implement programs, strengthen donor relations and improve organization-wide activities
• Assist CD in identifying potential risks and roll out of mitigation measures for the effective functioning of country programme
• Develop relationships with IRC headquarters for technical assistance across all Bangladesh Supply chain, IT, Safety, Security & Access and Human Resources/Administration functions as needed.
2. Supply Chain Management
• Ensure compliance and application of the IRC Global and donor procurement policies
• Ensure Senior Supply Chain Coordinator has adequate oversight of inventory management functions ensuring all applicable inventory management policies are adhered to, all warehouses are properly set-up, all appropriate drugs are led according to IRC and donors policies, and all supplies are led effectively
• Ensure all IT services, hardware and software are regularly maintained and review all new/replacement hardware/software needs with the Senior Supply Chain Coordinator and IT Manager
• Ensure all IT infrastructure is suitable to support all IRC program and operational needs.
• Lead and ensure an efficient management of IRC’s fleet across all locations
3. Staff Supervision and Development
• Provide encouraging mentorship and supervision to direct reports. Provide appropriate and timely feedback to staff regarding their performance, including timely implementation of the annual staff performance management system in operations department.
• Provide ongoing assistance to staff under the operations department and develop approaches to ensure continuous monitoring, mentoring and support to them.
• Promote an open, diverse and participatory work environment.
• Lead with dedication, integrity and accountability to the “IRC Way” – Global Standards for Professional Conduct
4. Field Management Support
• Assist DDP and Senior Field Coordinator (Head of field office) to maintain field office control and efficiency.
• Support the management of operations at field office, ensuring they meet the needs of programs through effective management by the Cox Bazar Operations departments
• Provide updated information to the CD on extraordinary requests for support from the field
• Consult with and make recommendations together with the Senior Field Coordinator to the CD on field operations, security and administrative issues
5. Government compliance and Liaison/Representation and Coordination
• Assist the Country Director, DDP and SPC in establishing, developing and sustaining a strong relationships with Govt counterparts to ensure smooth programme delivery which is also aligned with GoB rules and regulations for INGOs in Bangladesh.
• Serve as an active member of the country program’s Senior Management Team and deputize for the Country Director as necessary.
6. Staff Safety and Security
• Maintain oversight and provide support to senior coordinator (safety, security and access) to ensure up to date IRC’s systems.
• Management plan on regular interval and its strict implementation
• Advise CD on time to time pertinent issues.
7. Budget & Finance
• Lead operating budget for operation functions and ensure spending by budget holders is timely, on budget and compliant.
• Maintain close working relations with the Finance Controller, DDP, and SPC to ensure coordinated Bangladesh operations inputs during budget development, including a capital equipment replacement plan, and ensure additional funding is sourced to address any budget shortfalls.
• As requested by the Country Director, provide input to audit issues and corrective action plans.
8. Strategic Action Plan (SAP)
• Participate; contribute and being a focal person for operations sector for SAP development by ensuring that a realistic, political and humanitarian perspective underlies the strategic plan for Bangladesh Country Program.
• Communicate and assist on the IRC Strategy across the country program team;
• Actively Participate in the decision-making process as a member of the SAP steering committee for the country program;
Major Challenges of the role:
• Balancing multiple priorities in a fast-paced and high demanding work environment.
• Smooth coordination and communication with a multi-cultural multi-sectoral team of national and international staff based in multiple locations.
• Ensuring program and support service quality during a period of rapid expansion.
• Successfully handling relationships and maintaining access in a politically complex environment.
• Leading a dynamic safety and security context with diverse threats and challenges, including violent and non-violent civil unrest, road safety and acute weather.
- A motivated and a high performing operations team of IRC in Bangladesh;
- Timely, quality and cost-effective procurement of supplies (goods and services) based on programme needs and maintaining IRC and donor compliances
- Effective management of IRC fleet meeting programme needs in a timely and quality manner
- Assure that inventory management including warehousing systems are per compliance requirements.
- Safety and security of operation in Bangladesh is considered as high priority
- Continuous assessment of IRC’s operational setup and needs in Bangladesh and undertake strategic and operational improvement measures to facilitate smooth business continuity ensuring safety and security of staff and clients under the guidance of Senior Management Team (SMT).
• Excellent professional track record with over 10 years of progressive work experience, preferably in a complex and dynamic humanitarian and development environment.
• At least 3-5 years of experience at an operations leadership level.
• Bangladeshi nationals with relevant international experience will be highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
• Proven ability to think strategically, prioritize and meet deadlines in a challenging environment; be culturally sensitive.
• Excellent leadership, people management, Social and negotiation skills and a validated ability to develop harmonious and high-performing teams.
• Previous substantial experience in at least three of the following fields: Project Management, Human Resources, Finance, Supply Chain, Administration, Security, IT, Risk Management, Communication, Fleet Management, Government Liaison.
• Strong Tactics skills; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with internal and external Partners in a sensitive environment.
• Experience in mentoring senior national staff.
• Effective communication and presentation skills.
• Excellent skills in leading large scale operations with high-value budgets from a diverse range of donors.
• Excellent command over MS office & English.
• You will have a plus If you know Bangla language.
• Cultural and gender sensitivity, Flexibility, willingness to travel.
Specific Educational Qualifications:
Bachelor degree in Business administration, management, supply chain or another relevant discipline (candidates with master’s degree will be preferred).
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.