Area Manager (Aden)
Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity.
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organization with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organization was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programs in more than 55 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI have been intervening in Yemen on and off for the last 12 years, with its actions initially focused on development issues, notably through the support to the development of physical and functional rehabilitation services for people with disabilities (PwDs) as well as through the capacity-building of the national networks of Yemen Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs).
Since 2015, HI interventions have been adapted to the current context of the conflict in Yemen. With the support of different donors, HI has been supporting two hospitals and one physical and functional rehabilitation centre in Sana’a City, building the capacities of their key staff in early rehabilitation care and psychological first aid (including specifically for children), supplying rehabilitation equipment, and directly providing functional rehabilitation care and psychosocial support to war-affected people (including through the donation of assistive devices and provision of Prosthesis). In 2017, these activities have extended to new facilities in and around Sana’a.
In parallel, HI is implementing inclusion and protection mainstreaming project, to increase the knowledge and capacities of the staff International NGOs in the inclusion of the most vulnerable persons in their humanitarian response (including PwD), so as to increase their access to essential services.
In addition, the mission is also expanding its sector of intervention through Risk education and Cash support. Eventually, the set-up of advocacy mechanisms considering the country and regional environment is another major goal of the mission.
While all of HI activities were done so far in Sana’a governorate, HI is about to expand its activities in the Northern part of the country including Hudaydah and in the Southern part of the country including Aden.
Line manager: Head of Mission
Funder(s): Multiple donors
Size of budget to be managed: 2.5 M.
Duration of funding (project: 24 months
Size of the team: Approximately 40/50 persons
Number of persons under direct supervision: 5 to 6 persons
Working in an emergency project since 2015 in Sanaa, HI has the aim to develop the mission within the country and will open a new base in Aden in January 2019. The Area coordinator will set up the base and launch the projects in the South with the support of the coordination team.
General mission: Coordination of the area and supervision of teams to ensure the quality of the projects implemented in the southern part of the country – with a base in Aden.
- Responsibility 1: To open the Aden base and set up activities in the area with the close support of the coordination team.
- Responsibility 2: To represent HI (Hub level)
- Responsibility 3: To develop a strategy
- Responsibility 4: To coordinate and implement projects
- Responsibility 5: To ensure the coordination and application of processes/supporting documents
- Responsibility 6: To manage the team
- Responsibility 7: To follow up context and security
- Responsibility 8: To manage security
- Responsibility 9: To manage communication, advocacy, and confidentiality
- Responsibility 10: To report
The complete job description will be shared with short-listed candidates.
The position is based in Aden – Yemen, but during the first part of the mission, the expatriate will be based in HI remote office in Amman, until his/her VISA for Yemen is approved. The office in Amman is used as a back-up office for HI expatriates to follow-up the mission until they can visit Yemen.
In Aden, shared guesthouse well equipped with a safe room, most of the work is done at the office but few possibilities to go out for work purpose and for some extra professional activities. All movement is done by car. HI has set-up a curfew and strict security rules are applied. The situation in Aden is tense nowadays.
- Diploma in a field related to the job (humanitarian, Sciences Po, etc.)
- At least 4 years of professional experience
- At least 3 years of professional experience in humanitarian contexts, preferably in the management of emergency/conflicts area
- Previous coordination experience (Field, Project, Admin, Log) is mandatory
- Previous security management experience is mandatory
- Proven managerial experience
- Proven representation experience
- Fostering teamwork
- Empowering and developing others
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong writing and reporting skills
- Analytical thinking
- Integrity and accountability
- Planning/Organizational skills
- Results oriented
- Strong interpersonal and multicultural skills
- High level of autonomy and initiative
- Ability to work under high pressure
- Sense of humour
- Starting date: February 2019
- Length of the contract: 6 months renewable
- Salary from 2970 € gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
- Perdiem : 550 € net/month
- Hardship allowance: 500 € net/month
- Insurances: medical health coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
- Paid holiday: 25 days per year
- R&R : 7 days every 8 weeks
- Housing: Collective housing fully covered by HI