Office Closure considers the processes required to close an office or programme while minimising risks to staff, the organisation, and programmes. This Guide is intended for use in either a planned closure, or a closure which is forced by contextual factors.
Regardless of the reason for closure, the hazards of not approaching the process in a considered and organised way remain the same. Of primary concern are the security risks that can arise. How stakeholders are made aware of the closure, and are supported during the preparation for departure, will be crucial in minimising these risks.
Failing to manage the closure process appropriately can leave the organisation vulnerable to abuse of or violence against staff, theft of resources, reputational damage, and ill-feeling, which may extend to the humanitarian community in general, putting other organisations’ programmes and staff at risk.
A well-planned and transparent approach to office closure can avoid many of these hazards, and this guide, though not an alternative to adequate planning, aims to help organisations to plan, coordinate and implement a successful, safe closure.
The guide is structured around work sectors relevant to a closure, so that staff can easily consult a specific section appropriate to their duties and responsibilities. Consideration is given to:
- Part 1 Planning
- Part 2 Coordination of Office Closure
- Part 3 Security
- Part 4 Communications Strategy
- Part 5 Information Management
- Part 6 Finance
- Part 7 Human Resources
- Part 8 Logistics
- Part 9 Programmes
The associated tools can be downloaded in editable format following the links below:
- Tool 1 Planning checklist template
- Tool 2 TOR for Exit Programme Manager
- Tool 3 Closure risk analysis
- Tool 4 Example communications plan
- Tool 5 Document transfer checklist
- Tool 6 Template notification letter of termination to staff on fixed term contract
- Tool 7 Template notification letter to staff of reduction in number of posts
- Tool 8 Template for work certificate
- Tool 9 Template for letter of recommendation
- Tool 10 Donation agreement
- Tool 11 Vehicle donation agreement & certificate of indemnity
- Tool 12 Disposal form
- Tool 13 Disposal plan
- Tool 14 Example asset transfer memorandum of understanding
Office Closure is followed by Office Opening, which provides an easy-to-follow process detailing the recommended steps when opening an office where the property market may be complex and/or ambiguous.