Security and Defence Conference 2019
The implications for the international security landscape of current political uncertainties and upheavals remain unclear. Arrangements for European and UK security cooperation post-Brexit have yet to be agreed, and the Trump administration continues to stress the need for greater burden sharing among NATO allies, highlighting the fault lines in current frameworks for multilateral security cooperation. Meanwhile, Russia and China are asserting their interests and influence in an increasingly volatile geopolitical landscape while technological developments are changing the nature of warfare and the capability requirements for effective deterrence.
What factors are driving these new patterns in diplomacy, and what do they mean for international security? What is the status of regional and global alignment over defence goals and norms, and what are the implications for future cooperation? What will the response be as powers attempt to reposition and restructure? What is now required for nations to effectively defend themselves? The annual Chatham House Security and Defence conference will discuss:
- Drivers and new patterns in diplomacy
- European unity or a divided continent?
- Repositioning, restructuring and regional responses
- Political transitions and the UK’s emerging position
- Fit-for-purpose deterrence for full-spectrum warfare
- The rise of populism and international security
The Chatham House Rule
To enable as open a debate as possible, this conference will be held under the Chatham House Rule.
Session One: The Shifting Security Landscape
Session Two: New Patterns in Diplomacy
Session Three: European Unity or a Divided Continent
Session Four: Political Transitions and the UK Position
Session Five: Fit-for-purpose Deterrence
Session Six: Repositioning and Restructuring
Register by Friday 18 January 2019 to benefit from the early booking rate.
Ways to book:
- Phone: Call Boudicca Georgii Hellberg on +44 (0)20 7314 2785
- Online: Click here to complete the online registration form
- Email/Post: Download a PDF registration form(opens in new window), complete and return to Saoirse McKeon via email or post: Chatham House, 10 St. James’s Square, London, SW1Y 4LE
Check if your organisation is a member of Chatham House here.