HiHEAT (High Hostile Environment Awareness Training)
About Safer Edge
Safer Edge (www.saferedge.com) is a UK-based, risk management company which specialises in safety and security services for the social sector. Formed in 2003, Safer Edge was founded to cater to the specific security needs of humanitarian and development organisations globally, to enable them to stay safe and achieve their objectives when working in difficult environments. Its has grown to provide learning and risk management expertise to hundreds of humanitarian and development organisations. Clients include both national and international NGOs (such as Oxfam, Save the Children and World Vision), donor departments, the UN, foundations and academic institutions.
Safer Edge delivers work through two portfolios:
- Risk Management (saferedge.com/risk-management) delivering organisational security system design, audit and review, travel and context support and consultancy for advisory services and gap filling.
- Learning (saferedge.com/learning) delivering both open and tailored courses for clients who work in difficult environments. This includes hostile environment awareness training, advanced personal security with first aid, security management, crisis management and international travel security.
High Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HiHEAT)
Hi-HEAT is a 5-day residential, advanced course designed to respond to the shift over the past decade from humanitarian and development workers as neutral and independent during conflict to targets during conflict. This change has meant those working in hostile environments and conflict zones are more likely to experience violence and traumatic events.
Hi-HEAT is not simply a HEAT course taken to ‘another level’. It pushes participants both mentally and physically escalating levels of stress and pressure throughout. It contains many of the learning elements of a HEAT course but fully integrates a psycho-social component being taught and overseen by a psychologist throughout. Safer Edge’s course was initially developed in cooperation with World Vision to meet their criteria and standards including a 16 hour simulation.
Hi-HEAT is recommended only for individuals who will be visiting high or extreme risk locations.
What you’ll learn – a course overview
Inclusive and integrated security
Safer Edge’s core principles of inclusive and integrated security mean that participants understand their role in providing for their own security as well as that of the entire team. Inclusive and integrated security enables programmes and operations to work as effectively and safely as possible. This includes:
- Key principles of the Security Management Framework, including situational analysis and actor mapping.
- The role of different security strategies, including Acceptance, Protection and Deterrence.
- The Security Compass: assessing, anticipating and mitigating risks.
- Getting prepared for incidents and emergencies.
- Dealing with checkpoints, crossfire, landmines and other dangers.
- Developing psychological resilience.
- Image management and noticing other people’s perceptions.
- Managing interpersonal conflict, hostility and aggression.
First Aid in Field Environments
Standard first aid courses assume an ambulance is just a few moments away. Our first aid teaches the crucial skills to save lives when medical help could take hours or days to arrive.
Kidnap Avoidance, Survival and Response
Ensure staff know exactly what to do if kidnapping is an immediate threat – and what to do if they are abducted. Including:
- When to anticipate kidnap and abduction.
- Establishing best practice to minimise risk.
- How to live and survive in captivity