Becoming a Member
Why become a Member?
EISF members enjoy access to a network of security risk management-conscious organisations working in the humanitarian sector. With an active membership of more than 80 NGOs, there are numerous opportunities to get involved and engage with others. Members meet and network at biannual EISF Forum meetings and frequent workshops, as well as exchanging information on contextual or policy issues virtually through teleconferences and via e-mail.
View the full directory of EISF members.
Types of Membership and Membership Criteria
EISF has two types of Membership: Full and Associate.
Full Forum membership is open to organisations meeting the following criteria:
- European based not for-profit NGOs which:
- Manage, and are responsible for, staff and significant humanitarian programme activities in several countries;
- Have their registered HQ and operational centre in Europe;
- Are committed to the Code of Conduct of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief;
- Have a security focal point who can represent them within EISF;
- Are sponsored by two existing members of EISF;
- Agree to comply with the EISF information-sharing policy.
Associate membership is extended to those organisations which meet criteria 3-7 above and have similar interests regarding staff safety and security in multiple countries. For example:
- European based Red Cross movement agencies with a presence or activities in the field;
- Relevant European based donor security focal points;
- European humanitarian non-for-profit representational or lobby groups;
- Not-for profit NGOs implementing Human Rights-based programmes.
All applications for full and associate membership are reviewed and approved by the EISF Steering Group.
EISF member organisations are asked to pay an annual subscription fee to ensure the Forum’s sustainability. The fee structure has five tiers based on the average annual income of Member organisations. EISF aims to remain inclusive and will consider options for organisations unable to pay the required fee.
From 2013, NGOs with 4 or more ‘sister organisations’ currently acting as Members of EISF may avail of a 15% discount on their Membership fee. Any organisation joining after the first bi-annual Forum will be charged 50% of the total fee.
|Annual Income||Membership Fee|
|<EUR 5 million||EUR 275|
|EUR 5 million- EUR 15 million||EUR 550|
|EUR 15 million – EUR 40 million||EUR 1100|
|EUR 40 million – EUR 100||EUR 1650|
|> EUR 100 million||EUR 2200|
Documents related to Membership of EISF
Please note that by submitting the membership registration form you agree, that on confirmation of membership, to abide by the Terms of Reference and Information Sharing Policy. For more information about becoming a member please contact the Executive Director or Projects and Membership Officer
Don’t think your organisation fits the criteria for membership?
Please get in touch! EISF links with other organisations in many different ways; our Members appreciate the opinions and input of think tanks, human rights organisations, development-focused NGOs, business and government. Whilst your organisation may not be eligible for EISF Membership, there may be interesting ways in which we could collaborate.
Some European countries have their own NGO security coordination forum with different membership criteria. If you would like to connect with similar organisations in your own country, please contact the Secretariat and we will put you in touch where we can.
Anyone with an interest in security risk management can sign up for open-source EISF articles and blogs. Signing up allows users to receive regular e-mails, including short articles on topical issues, information on research being undertaken by the Secretariat and others, as well as updates on security trainings and vacancies in the sector.